As an Interior Decorator I keep the redecorating itch, even in my own home. I am always finding something prettier, fresher or newer. Sometimes I buy one new piece that somehow justifies acquiring all new accents or items to match. I don’t wish this for you, but I certainly desire beauty for your home! Here are a few signs that it is time to redecorate your home.
- Lifestyle Change – Perhaps the most obvious reason is a change in your lifestyle. Are you suddenly into working out? Maybe a home gym or workout area needs a priority in your home. Getting married, having kids, kids leaving and even divorce are all changes that may require the addition, upgrading or purging of your previous décor.
- Old Style or Taste – This is similar to the first sign, however sometimes you just outgrow your space or old taste. Maybe you used to be more eclectic or contemporary but you now have more traditional tastes. When this happens, it is time to redecorate.
- Same Ole Same – To take the previous sign a bit further, if your home has the exact same décor as when you moved in many years ago, it is at least time for an update. It is what I like to call, a space-lift.
- Bored – If your home bores you and doesn’t leave you feeling inspired or renewed, it is time.
- No More Hosting – If you used to love to entertain but no longer volunteer your home, it may be time. On a similar note, if your friends insist on having events at someone else’s home, that may be their sign to you, ha!
- Décor for Fun – If you are an HGTV fanatic, or follow décor blogs and have more décor pins on Pinterest than you do clothes, your creativity may just be calling you to update your home.
- Colorstruck – If you are obsessed with a color you keep seeing (HGTV, Pinterest, other homes, etc.), you might as well give in to the light! Perhaps it’s not just one color. If you have a thing for collecting or picking up paint chips, then you already know it is time to at least upgrade your paint color.
Redecorating doesn’t have to be as dramatic as it sounds. Some quick solutions include new paint, pillows, accessories, vignettes and rearranging your furniture. Start with baby steps if you need to!