The universe continues to offer us more and more ways to eat healthy. One diet that is becoming increasingly popular is the Paleo diet. If you are not familiar with it, I can offer a brief definition. Is it a diet based on foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans. It basically consists of mainly meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. It excludes diary, grain and processed foods. On the surface it seems easily doable, but what do you do when it’s holiday time and cookies and cakes are in order? Christmas cookies with the kids is one of my holiday treats and this year will be no different, so I looked up a few Paleo Christmas cookie recipes. Here’s one of my favorites I found on AgainstAllGrain.com.
Peppermint Chocolate Macaroons!
Recipe by: Danielle Walker
SERVES: 2 dozen
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- dash of seas salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using an electric mixer, beat the egg white with a small pinch of salt. Beat for 1-2 minutes until soft peaks form when you lift the mixer out.
- Fold the egg white into the coconut mixture and mix gently until fully combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out balls of dough and pack them together tightly either by lightly knocking the scoop onto the side of the bowl or pushing it down with your fingers.
- Place the dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, rotating the tray half way through.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack for 1 hour. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Optional – dip the bottoms of the macaroons in melted dark chocolate mixed with ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract for an even more decadent treat!
Enjoy! Report back and tell us what you think!